Cliff Dangers!

Summer is finally here! With the stunning weather lots of us flock to beautiful Pembrokeshire, particularly the coast and its walking routes. Like any good walk it is great to be able to take your dog along too. If you do, please remember that the cliff top walks along the coastal path can hold dangers for your pet dog. During summer months we have seen many serious injuries from cliff falls which are frequently fatal.

                                   

We would always advise keeping your dog on the LEAD around cliffs. Even the best behaved dog can often dart off chasing something and even sniffing around may bring your pet into close proximity to the cliff edge. In some places, cliff edges are underrun meaning that what looks like a solid surface is actually a dangerous precipice which could easily crumble under the weight of a dog. 

                                 

Adders are another potential danger on the coast path routes. Although they are not usually aggressive they can bite if frightened or disturbed by a dog. They are the only species of poisonous snake in the UK and symptoms of an adder bite can be severe. Prompt treatment of adder bites is important to prevent lasting damage. Please look at our previous blog to find out what to do if your dog is bitten.

A lot of routes along the coastal path lead to or from beaches. Some Pembrokeshire beaches have restrictions or outright bans on dogs over the summer months so it is always a good idea to check if a beach is ‘dog friendly’ before visiting! Several websites have a list you can consult ahead of time. http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/holidays-and-breaks/dog-friendly-holidays/dog-friendly-beaches

Beaches can pose other hazards to our dogs, especially when they are left off the leash to have fun. Examples include:

  • Eating leftover human food, leading to vomiting, diarrhoea, pancreatitis or blockages.
  • Eating sand leading to impactions and irritation of the intestines.
  • Drinking salt water can be toxic, cause vomiting and diarrhoea.
  • Eating Seaweed can result in intestinal blockages
  • Contacting Jellyfish which can cause nasty stings.

We don’t want to spoil your summer fun with your pets, but we want to remind everyone how to  enjoy the coast  whilst keeping your pet safe.

                                  

                                This was Lottie's view from the cliff edge, very different to what we see!

 

comments powered by Disqus